Dorado Weather

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Reality Check in an Unreal World...


It is official, I am back in Iraq! My trip to the Middle East was as annoying as it was when I was trying leave for the U.S. Overall, it took me five days to get to my final destination, and by this time, I was ready to go to my room and sleep for about two days. Luckily, I keep my expectations low so I will not be disappointed when things do not go as planned.

I arrived a little before three in the morning in the American FOB and I soon realized that I had no place to sleep and that it was colder than I can call comfortable. I thought that maybe I could occupy the room that I used on my way out to the States but I sadly discovered that it was already being used and therefore I was officially stranded. There is something rewarding about being a soldier sometimes…you do anything to make it through, no matter how silly it may sound so…my first thought to keep me out of the cold was to hide in the shower trailer. I thought to myself, “it is after two in the morning, who the hell is going to be there now?” Done! I walked straight to the trailers, put my bags down, took out my computer, and wrote:

I just got into Kirkuk, it is 0249 in the morning and after thinking that I wanted to get here, I find myself regretting that decision due to the lack of sleeping arrangements for me. In other words, I got here and I do not have a place to go or sleep. It is around 30 degrees outside and I have a huge duffle bag, my assault bag and my IBA (flak vest) to carry around with me wherever I go. Solution, being the hardcore Army girl that I am I resolved to go the shower trailers where it is warm and where--at this time in the morning--I can be alone. So here I am, alone sitting on a bench in the shower trailer but I am warm and I could connect the laptop to the outlet so I can at least entertain myself for a little bit.

The whole ordeal of flying back from the States was a nightmare. I left Puerto Rico on January 11 and today--the 16th--I am still running around like a nomad. I have ran out of clean clothes even though they were washed in Kuwait. I am truly thinking of dropping my bags somewhere and going to get me a cup of coffee. This really sucks. Another 5 months Vanessa, another 5 months...

We flew in a C130 and although we could not see from the inside, it was obvious when we arrived in Kirkuk for the all familiar smell of the refineries. In another words, the stench gave it up. The ride was almost 2 hours and I was very uncomfortable but I guess it could be a lot worse--I do not know how, but I guess it could. At this time, I am just annoyed with the whole Army movement planning. Every time we showed up somewhere everybody there acted like if it was their first rodeo and like they were not expecting travelers. I am truly exhausted but I cannot go to sleep here because I do not want to wake to the sight of amused half naked women around me looking at me as if I was a circus freak.

I will play solitaire for now, my obsession with winning will make the time fly by, and then I can find another place to hide. It is times like these when I ask myself… "What the hell am I doing here and how did I get here?"

I stayed there for a couple of hours and then I carried my bags to the maintenance shop—the only people that I deal with on a regular basis at the FOB. I walked in the dark, complained to myself and felt envious of those who were not as miserable as I was at that moment. Nevertheless, I walked to the shop and hung out in the office until later in the morning when the dining facility opens for breakfast. I called my team leader to ask to be picked up and the arrangements were made. After much run around, I arrived in K-1 close to eleven in the morning. Priority of events: shower and sleep…nothing else mattered.


It has taken me this long to get used to the time change but there are some things that I cannot get used to yet. I honestly do not know if I am going to take them in during this part of my deployment. I miss my family even more than I did when I went on leave. I long for the day that I am gone away from this place and I can start a somewhat normal, happy life with those that have never abandoned me. With those that through the distance, the time, the tumult of different events in their lives, have been there for me. Those that pray for me even if I cannot hear their prayers, those that think of me and always make sure to send me a encouragement note letting me know that I am in their thoughts…the people that I do not have to mention because they know who they are and those who have chosen to be there for me because they love me, just as I am.

No comments: