Dorado Weather

Friday, July 10, 2009

Just when you think you know everything...

Needless to say, the last three months were filled with changes, adjustments and fun. I’ve had to get used to my new image which has been a real change for me. I still look in the mirror and don’t recognize my new upper body. It is like I am waiting for them to fade away but they are always there. I do not know how long is going to take me to get use to my new body and to the way people react to it.

I had contemplated a breast augmentation for years but I did not think that I was ready for it. You see, I wanted to learn to love my body and be comfortable with it, just the way it was. I know it sounds incongruous with the end result but it is true. I wanted to feel happy just the way I was. For some time I was too consumed with my breast or the lack of them. My complex was such that I tried my best to wear things that would not bring attention to my upper body. That lasted for most of my 20s but when I entered my 30s, I discovered a new found love for myself. I finally was comfortable with my body and accepted all my faults. My hips are big, my breasts were small but it does not define who I am.

In March, after much contemplation and weighing the good and the bad, I decided to go through the surgery. One of the things that bothered me the most is that I used to take pride in my simple, low maintenance but all natural look. That would definitely change, I will not be all natural but I finally said “I am ready.” I had to visit a plastic surgeon for a medical condition and took advantage of the visit to inquire about the surgery. I did it and I don’t regret it.
When I look at pictures of myself before the surgery, I do not see an ugly woman or less than a woman. I love to look at them because I see the same person that I am today. Of course, my clothes fit different but that’s to be expected; still, they are the same clothes I had before. I still do not let my body define me, MY BRAINS DO! So…

The purpose of this post is for all of you that have wondered if I did but cannot find a way to ask and for all of those that for some bizarre reason thought I was not happy with my image, myself or my body and that was the reason for my surgery. I have always loved my body, I think of it as my temple and nothing has changed with that. For years my dear husband have told me not to do it because—he says—I was beautiful as I was but he still love me as much as he did before. Finally, thank you for those of you that worried, called me, cooked for me (Michelle Sanchez) or in some way or another supported me through the change.

I am fuller but I am still me and most importantly, my opinionated brain is still intact. You see, you don't know JACK!!! :)

No comments: